Open call for artists, architects, architecture students, object and interior designers and lovers of beauty for creating the best idea of an art gallery that will be temporarily placed in Center of Sibiu – Romania (the European Capital of Culture in 2007)
The contest is organized by the Gilding Association of Sibiu (AIOS), a nonprofit association, and is open to the general public with a minimum age of 18 years, artists, architects, architecture students, object and interior designers and lovers of beauty, to Romanian or foreign citizens. Individuals and legal entities, architecture students, designers, artists or representatives of related fields may participate, as well as professionals and amateurs. The contest is also open to individual participants and teams, without limiting the number of members.
The objectives of the contest
The contest aims to select the best idea of an art gallery that will be temporarily placed in the public space. The art gallery will be the central point of the project “City of Artists”, organized annually during the summer in Sibiu (Romania) – Small Square, on the pedestrian plateau in front of the Holy Tower.
The proposed construction will thus be arranged here annually during the summer (approximate period: July-September). Workshops addressed to children, adults and families will be carried out around the art gallery during the project, so it will be taken into account the fact that here will be placed (for short periods) easels, wooden tables and benches intended for workshops which can be designed to integrate into the space proposed by the participants. It is also an advantage if the proposed project will also integrate the storage area for benches, tables and easels.
Calendar: The ideas competition is over
- • Until September 28: conducting the contest. The proposals submitted after September 20, at 23:59 will not be taken into account;
• September 29 – October 3: publication of the selected participating works and exhibition within the Art Point Gallery in the Small Square, Sibiu (Romania);
• September 29-30: the judging of the works;
• October 1-3: announcing the winners;
• November 2021 – June 2022: implementation period – completion of the execution details and the development of the winning art gallery (the period can be extended unilaterally, at the request of the Organizers or sponsors).
Within the contest, one prize and two mentions will be granted, based on the judging, as follows:
- 1st prize of – 2.000 lei (approx. € 400) + a visit to Sibiu (Romania) together with the family or a friend/girlfriend* during the period of the project the City of Artists from the opening year of the new art gallery (approximate period: July – September 2022).
- Two mentions of – 500 lei (approx. € 100).
*The winner can participate in the opening of the art gallery as a special guest, the Organizer having to pay for all transport costs (Economy class from anywhere in Europe), Accommodation (3-star hotel) and meals for a 5-day stay in Sibiu (Romania), for the winner and his/her family (maximum 2 adults and two children) or for him/her and another friend/girlfriend.
The value of the prize and of the mentions shall be net. The related taxes and duties will be borne by the Organizers.
The prizes awarded may not be replaced by other prizes and shall not be transferable.
Conditions for sending the project
By September 28, 2021, each participant will send the project with which he/she intends to participate in the contest to the Organizer by email email@example.com
- achieving a solution that takes into account the budget proposed for construction: 20.000 lei (€ 4.000), with the possibility of extending the budget under the conditions described in point 9 of this Regulation. The budget shall be presented as an Annex to the proposed project;
- applicability and feasibility: the art gallery may be built to be used as of June 2022, within the project “City of artists” in the Small Square in Sibiu, taking into account that it must be arranged in the Historical Centre of Sibiu according to the local urban and advertising Regulations.
Preference will be given to proposals in which the following prevail:
- creativity: the visual impact both when the art gallery is open to the public and when it is closed to visitors;
- architectural quality of the proposed object, adaptation of the existing public space, dialogue with the neighboring built fund;
- interactivity with the public.
Failure to comply with the conditions and with the technical data for submitting the project as well as the construction budget may lead to the elimination of the project from the competition.
A judging will be made to appoint a single winner, granting also two mentions depending on the score obtained and the creativity of the idea. If they do not claim the prize awarded, the money will go to the next ranked, in the order in which the participants were judged.
The jury will be made up of representatives of the organizers, artists, art gallery representatives, architects. The jury shall be composed of the following persons, and its componence may be modified at any time during the contest and/or completed by other specialists:
- Michael Engel – architect, international expert for urban development;
- Mihai Zgondoiu – independent artist & curator, founder of the gallery Atelier 030202;
- Stefan Radu Cretu – visual artist;
- Tudor St. Popa – conductor architect, AIOS president.
- THE CONTEST REGULATION
- Satellite images of the competition area (Google Maps)
- Google Maps update (.jpg)
- General plan with the competition area, with dimensions (.pdf)
- General plan with marking of the urban landmarks in the area (.pdf)
- Aerial image with marking of the urban landmarks in the area (.jpg)
- Photos with the contest area, accesses, pedestrian routes (link)
- Video images with the competition area and previous exhibitions (link)
- City of Artists project presentation (.pdf)
- City of Sibiu overview (link): cultural landmarks, historical landmarks, local personalities, heritage
The contest is part of the project “City of Artists”. Sponsor: Sibiu Town Hall.
Vezi versiunea în limba română: www.aios.ro/artpoint
Lasă un răspuns